Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Creativity in the Classroom

J.P. Guilford describes creativity using four concepts: fluency, flexiblity, elaboration and originality.

I struggle the most with flexiblility. When I think about something or feel strongly about a topic, I have a hard time viewing it from another person's point of view. I want to think that only my way or belief is right and that anyone that opposes it is just crazy. Even when it comes to school work, if I am having to write a paper or create a project from a point of view that I do not agree with or if I think it should be from another perspective then I do not want to do the assignment, but I feel the assignment is harder when its not something I agree with or understand fully from that perspective.

Probably the most simple tool we have used in class that I feel helps spark some of these dimensions is google doc. With a google doc we are able to show fluency in the classroom, constantly being able to add our thoughts and ideas which sparks originality.Our classmates are able to elaborate on a point one has made either with facts or their own thoughts and ideas. With being able to see our classmates points of view, flexibility is expressed.

Another tool would be jing. While working on a project you can capture an image or additional text to help support an idea showing elaboration. To get other perspectives into a video, you could use the video tool from jing to capture parts of a classmates video or a youtube video to put into your video demonstrating flexibility.

Bubblr would be a great tool to create entertaining clips for younger children my classroom. It would be an original way to explain a certain topic or even to work through a problem. We could create one as a class letting each child have their own slide with their own ideas.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that every student should learn about these programs. After learning about jing and Bubblr, I already feel more advanced and creative in the classroom. This is a great post, I really enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete